Sunday 22 October 2017

Sunday Post 22nd October 2017

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader.

Last Week on the Blog:

  • Monday Highlights #28
  • Guest Post: Halloween Movie, TV and YouTube Recommendations
  • Ann's Horror Stories
  • Halloween MASH


Books We Got This Week:

Daughters Unto DevilsBeneath the MountainLa Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust, #1)Harry Potter - A History of Magic: The Book of the ExhibitionHarry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic
Daughters Unto Devils by Amy Lukavics: This was a surprise gift from Vera @ Regal Critiques (who also did our amazing guest post this week). I have already read this and really enjoyed it. It was intensely dark and creepy.
Beneath the Mountain by Luca D'Andrea: I was sent this for review and am really excited for it! It's being published in the UK in January so I will definitely be reading it soon!
The Book of Dust by Philip Pullman: I dropped everything the second this arrived and immediately starting reading it. I'm a little over halfway through currently and loving it.
A History of Magic and A Journey Through A History of Magic: These were rather optimistically pitched as "new Harry Potter books". Although they're more of a 20th anniversary compendium. I haven't had a chance to look through them yet but Ann has and she loved them so I am looking forward to it!


Reading Update:

The Haunting of Hill HouseDaughters Unto DevilsFeed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1)The Informant (Kaz Phelps, #1)
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson: 5 stars, Shirley Jackson is now officially my favourite writer for all things creepy. This gave me genuine goosebumps and I could not stop reading until I finished!
Daughters Unto Devils by Amy Lukavics: 4 stars, Very atmospheric, super dark especially towards the end and a really exciting read.
Feed by Mira Grant: 2 stars, Kind of disappointing. As an exploration of blog culture I'm sure it's fine but I wanted a zombie story and the actual zombies were fairly scarce in this. Sometimes that works (like in the ever wonderful This Is Not a Test) but here it didn't really. Or not for me anyway.
The Informant by Susan Wilkins: 3 stars, I really enjoyed the first half of this book but started to lose interest towards the second half unfortunately. I do own the second and third books but I wont be reading them straight away.



You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.



8 comments:

  1. The Book of Dust is popular this week. I hope you enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beneath the Mountain looks tempting. Thanks for sharing, and enjoy! Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look great. I hope you'll enjoy them all. Happy reading and have a wonderful week. 😁❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, lovely haul. I hope you enjoy all of your books. Happy reading!

    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously need to make a Shirley Jackson book my next read, because you made me so hyped for them. I'm really happy you loved Daughters Unto Devils. :D

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover of Daughters Unto Devils is so beautifully creepy. I'll have to take a look at it since I adore dark stories.

    I can't wait to get my hands on A History of Magic and A Journey Through a History of Magic. I'm just waiting for the prices to drop since illustrated editions can be a bit expensive.

    Happy readings!
    Tânia @MyLovelySecret

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really wanted The Book of Dust! I guess I'll have to buy it like all the normal people, haha :D but I first have to finish the series.
    Have fun with these great reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I'm sure liking some of your reads. Dayghter's Unto Devils and Beneath The Mountain look thrilling. Happy reading:)

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete