Saturday 3 December 2016

Clare's November Wrap-Up and December TBR

November Wrap Up:

In November I read a total of 12 books which is not my best but I did have a lot of work for my University course this month

Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)Burn (Dark in You #1)Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Newt Scamander: A Movie Scrapbook (Fantastic Beasts Film Tie in)The Chemist
12. Nevernight by Jay Kristoff: The biggest disappointment of my reading month and the only book I can honestly say I didn't enjoy. This was just not for me. I didn't like the writing style - I never particularly cared about any of the characters. And it took me over a week to read which is very unusual for me.
11. Burn by Suzanne Wright: There were a few problems with this one if I am honest. I wasn't a huge fan of the romance (which is a shame because its a pretty romance dominated story) but overall I enjoyed reading it and it was quick and fun.
10. Newt Scamander: A Movie Scrapbook: This is a behind the scenes look with some extra knowledge about the Fantastic Beasts world. I enjoyed this but it wasn't as in-depth as I would have liked - it's clearly more aimed at children I think. I will probably re-read this over time with my younger brother as I think he might enjoy this.
9. The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer: A fun, if over-long book. I can really see the ways in which Stephenie Meyer's storytelling has improved since Twilight. I liked the main character a lot. I didn't feel strongly about the romance but it was a very exciting read.
FrictionA Most Novel Revenge (Amory Ames Mystery #3)A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)
8. Friction by Sandra Brown: Another exciting read. I didn't love this as much as I did Sting by Sandra Brown but it was an engaging story with an interesting mystery and some side "villains" that irritated me so much. I actually preferred this romance to the one in Sting and I was very invested in the plot.
7. A Most Novel Revenge by Ashley Weaver: This is the third story in the Amory Ames series. I am enjoying this series although I would say that I still like the first book the most. This was more enjoyable than the second if only because the Ames' marriage isn't so turbulent.
6. A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas: There wasn't as much investment in the main mystery as I would have liked. Because "Sherlock Holmes" is actually Charlotte Holmes in this, a lot of the on the scene investigating is done by the police. And a lot of the story was taken up with Charlotte's disgrace followed by settling in to her new life. Which is understandable. I think future novels in this series will improve on this.
5. Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco: A great mystery, more gruesome than I was expecting with plenty of twists. I really, really like the main character and it was such an interesting resolution. I am very excited for the rest of this series.
The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find ThemYesternightFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original ScreenplayThe Female of the Species
4. Case of Beasts by Mark Salisbury: Much like the Movie Scrapbook this is a more in-depth look at the world also featuring some fascimile reproductions of props. I preferred this just because there was more information and it was more engrossing read overall. It's definitely one I will be re-reading before the second film comes out.
3. Yesternight by Cat Winters: I love Cat Winters' books so I was excited for this one and it did not let me down. Her Adult fiction is very different in tone from her Young Adult fiction - I enjoy both but they are different. This wasn't my absolute favourite of hers but it was a very twisty novel.
2. Fantastic Beasts Screenplay by J.K. Rowling: Of course I was going to read this. This makes 3 Fantastic Beasts books in one month (it's an obsession - I also have the colouring books) and I loved it. It is a screenplay and reading it so soon after the film meant that I could basically just rewatch the movie in my head which I loved. It's also just such a beautiful physical copy.
1. The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis: Oh boy this book. It's very hard to describe my feelings for this book. It had an emotional impact that I wasn't expecting, or rather wasn't expecting it to be strong. I spent almost a whole day sobbing after finishing this and then just shoved it at my sister and demanded she read it immediately. It was so, so good.


Reviews Posted This Month:

December TBR:

Last year I didn't really read a lot of Christmas novels and that's definitely something I want to change this year! I love seasonal reading and I just so happen to have quite a few Christmas books on my TBR shelf! That said - of my last TBR I managed to read 2 off the list so I am clearly awful at sticking to my intended reading! 


The Trouble with Mistletoe (Heartbreaker Bay, #2)Christmas in Eternity Springs: Eternity Springs 12 (A heartwarming, uplifting, feel-good romance series)Miracle On 5th Avenue (From Manhattan with Love #3)Christmas Ever AfterThe Parisian Christmas Bake Off
The Trouble with Mistletoe by Jill Shalvis: I was sent this for review by Headline Eternal. It is the second book in the Heartbreaker Bay series and is a book I am very, very excited about. I love Jill Shalvis's writing and characters so it should be amazing.
Christmas in Eternity Springs by Emily March: I was sent this for review also from Headline Eternal. It is the twelfth book in the Eternity Springs series. I have only read one other book from this series (number 10) but they can be read out of order.
Miracle on 5th Avenue by Sarah Morgan: I received a copy of this via Netgalley and then went out and bought a physical copy anyway because I have no self control!! This is the third book in the From Manhattan With Love series. I adored the first two so this is exciting!
Christmas Ever After by Sarah Morgan: This is the third book in the Puffin Island series. I read the first two earlier this year and almost read this one straight after but decided to save it for Christmas and I am glad that I did!

The Parisian Christmas Bake Off by Jenny Oliver: This was a book I bought for Christmas last year but never got around to reading. I have enjoyed Jenny Oliver's other books (although the ones I have read did follow much the same formula) so I am interested to see what I think of this one.
A Christmas KissMince Pies and Mistletoe at the Christmas MarketChristmas in the SnowChristmas on Primrose HillChristmas Under the Stars
A Christmas Kiss by Vicky Pattison: Written by the Queen of the Jungle herself, how could I resist. Honestly don't know much about this one - I've been in this mood where I pick up any book with snow on the cover.
Mince Pies and Mistletoe at The Christmas Market by Heidi Swain: Super cute, christmassy cover and the plot sounds really sweet and heartwarming and possibly even funny. 
Christmas in the Snow/Christmas on Primrose Hill/Christmas Under the Stars by Karen Swan: I have somehow missed the last three years of Christmas books from Karen Swan so these are 2014, 2015 and 2016's books respectively. I don't know what any of them are about and I don't need to. 
The Snow RoseThe Twelve Days of Dash and LilyWhat LightMagnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #2)Crystal Storm (Falling Kingdoms, #5)
The Snow Rose by Lulu Taylor: I don't know what this one is about either. But see, "Snow" is even in the title so I clearly have to read this. Although it has yet to snow here unfortunately!
The Twelve Days of Dash & Lily by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan: I really enjoyed the first book. I've heard mixed reviews about this one but ultimately I have to read it.
What Light by Jay Asher: I loved Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher so I feel like I waited a long time for this. It seems very different in feel but I am intrigued!
Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan: Abruptly jumping away from Christmas books we have the second book in the Magnus Chase series. I will definitely be reading this in December as I am buddy-reading it with Veronika from Regal Critiques.
Crystal Storm by Morgan Rhodes: Kind of a Christmas book in that I am pretty sure I am getting it for Christmas. I am excited and nervous for this book. Mostly nervous I'm not going to lie. I need, need Magnus and Cleo to be OK. Please Morgan Rhodes??

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

2 comments:

  1. 12 books in a month -- pass that reading juju to me! LOL

    Love the idea of doing seasonal reads. I feel like Christmas books are always so cozy -- like I want to cuddle up in a huge blanket, fuzzy socks, and hibernate with a book until it's springtime :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually really proud of myself! I love seasonal reading but I got completely sidetracked last year so I am really excited to actually read some Christmas books now! :)

      Delete