Wednesday 7 September 2016

Wednesday Catch-Up 7th September 2016

Every Wednesday we are linking up with WWW Wednesday. WWW Wednesday is hosted at Taking on a World of Words and asks 3 questions: What are you currently reading?, What did you recently finish reading? What do you think you'll read next? 

Currently Reading:
You And Me, Always
I have just started reading You and Me, Always by Jill Mansell. I have only read three other books by her but I enjoyed all of them and this one has the blurb that most appeals to me so I am pretty confident I will enjoy it. 

Recently Finished:
Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2)The Rumour
My reading week was a very slow one, primarily because I found myself dragging out Blue Lily, Lily Blue and The Raven King for as long as possible. Both were excellent reads and I loved this series as a whole. I just wish it was longer because I was not ready to say goodbye to these characters yet! To stave off the reading slump I knew was coming I then read A Scot in the Dark by Sarah MacLean. It was a good read but not my favourite of her novels, I did really like the inspiration for the series and both main characters were very likable. I then read The Rumour which made for very compulsive reading - definitely a one-more-chapter kind of book. Looking back there wasn't a lot happening I just became fascinated by the characters which made for an enjoyable read.

Planning to Read Next:
In the Month of the Midnight SunAfter AliceThe Unseeing
I think In the Month of the Midnight Sun will be a slow read but hopefully engaging, in the last Cecilia Ekback book I read there was a great atmosphere and I am hoping this will be the same. Next, I would like to read After Alice by Gregory Maguire. The premise of this intrigues me - it follows a friend of Alice after Alice's disappearance who is following in her footsteps but I have seen some negative reviews so I am not sure what to expect. And finally I want to read The Unseeing by Anna Mazzola which promises to be an interesting and perhaps unsettling read.


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

12 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love the cover of After Alice... it's been a long time since I tried reading anything by Gregory McGuire, maybe I should check this one out. Will be interested to hear your thoughts! I also keep hearing good things about Jill Mansel, I feel like I should check out her books, too.

    Here's my <a href="https://keysandopenmind.wordpress.com/2016/09/07/www-wednesday-07-september-2016/>WWW Post</a> for this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read one other Gregory Maguire book and I remember feeling a bit meh about it but this one sounds better so I am hopeful!

      Delete
  2. After Alice has a beautiful cover! I'm excited about that one, too.

    If reading 4 books in a week is a slow week, what's a fast one? :-)

    Here's my WWW: https://4thhouseontheleft.wordpress.com/2016/09/07/www-wednesday-7-september-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it just felt slow because The Raven Boys series took me so long to read! But then I read A Scot in the Dark and The Rumour in a day and a half. So I guess it was a slow week and a really good couple of days?

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed The Rumour...and I've been wanting to read Jill Mansell's books.

    After Alice caught my eye, and I'm intrigued. Thanks for sharing, and here's MY WWW WEDNESDAY POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed The Rumour. Jill Mansell is definitely one of the best in her genre I think and After Alice both intrigues me and makes me a little nervous, having heard some less than great things!

      Delete
  4. Enjoy Gregory! I've read one or two of his and really enjoyed his style. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read one of his before (and I've never read Wicked which I definitely want to) but After Alice looks good!

      Delete
  5. I have the Unseeing to read soon too and I'm quite excited as I've heard great things. Thank you so much for visiting my Wednesday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to The Unseeeing, I love the cover and the blurb sounds amazing!

      Delete
  6. In The Month of the Midnight sun and After Alice both sound good. I like the premise of Midnight sun and the fact that it's set in the 1800's, Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the setting of Ekback's first book so if this has the same setting I am sure I will love it!

      Delete