Monday 2 May 2016

(Slightly Late!) Sunday Post 1st May 2016

The Sunday Post STSmall_thumb[2]
The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted at Caffeinated Book Reviewer, it's a chance to post a recap on the past week, show the books we have received and share what we plan for the coming week. Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and the aim is to show our newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops or downloaded on to their e-reader. As always you can click on any of the pictures to be taken to the Goodreads page for that book if you're interested in finding out more about it.

Last Week on the Blog:

Books We Got This Week:
Love, Lies and SpiesHair in All the Wrong Places: The Perils of Growing Up WerewolfCity of Light (Outcast, #1)
Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey: Yes, yes, yes! So excited for this, ever since I read the first chapter preview in These Vicious Masks - this looks to be such a great, fun read.
Hair in All the Wrong Places by Andrew Buckley: The author contacted me to see if I would be interested in this and we both were! This is another one that just sounds like a lot of fun.
City of Light by Keri Arthur: I have been wanting more dystopian lately and I have hardly any on my shelves for some reason so I thought I would pick this one up since it sounded intriguing.
Dead Cold (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #2)The Cruellest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)The Murder Stone (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #4)
Dead Cold/The Cruellest Month/The Murder Stone by Louise Penny: These are books 2, 3 and 4 in the Armand Gamache series. They didn't have the first one there and I am hoping its possible to read them out of sequence!
Those GirlsDeath At Bishops Keep - The Victorian Mystery SeriesDeath at Gallows Green (The Victorian Mystery Series)
Those Girls by Chevy Stevens: I have had my eye on this for a while so I was glad to get a chance to pick it up at The Works. It sounds interesting and edge-of-your-seat exciting.
Death at Bishop's Keep/Death at Gallows Green by Robin Paige: I am in such a mystery mood at the moment - I don't know why! I hadn't heard of these but the covers jumped out at me and the plot sounded great. These are books 1 and 2.
Savage MagicThe Suicide ClubEligible: A Modern Retelling of Pride and Prejudice
Savage Magic by Lloyd Shepherd: This is another one that isn't the first in the series but once again I am hoping for the best!
The Suicide Club by Andrew Williams: This just appeals to me for some reason and I really like the cover. 
Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld: I love retellings, especially Austen ones so I am excited for this. I received this from Netgalley.

Reading Update:
Clare:
Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)Miss Silver Comes to StayThe Girl in the Cellar
Lonesome Road by Patricia Wentworth: 4 stars, This was such a lovely, cosy crime read. It was just what I needed since I was kind of missing Agatha Christie and I really enjoyed the characters and the mystery.
Miss Silver Comes to Stay by Patricia Wentworth: 4 stars, A little different from Lonesome Road but such a great mystery - this mystery was more compelling than Lonesome Road but the characters were less appealing to me.
The Girl in the Cellar by Patricia Wentworth: 3 stars, This was my least favourite but that may just have been that I personally don't enjoy stories involving memory loss!
Death At Bishops Keep - The Victorian Mystery Series
Death at Bishop's Keep by Robin Paige: 3.5 stars, I enjoyed this story and the characters. There were parts where it started to drag a little and the original mystery did get forgotten for a time, but it was a promising start to the series!



Next Week on the Blog:

  • Cover Characteristic: Ferris Wheel
  • Top Ten Childhood Characters You'd Love to Revisit as Adults
  • April Favourites & May TBR
  • Wednesday Catch-Up
  • Friday Reads


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

2 comments:

  1. Love Lies and Spies does look good, I hope it lives up to the fun premise! And the Victorian Mystery books look good too. Haven't heard of those...

    Your Marvel tag post was fun. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read the first chapter of Love Lies and Spies so far but I loved that so hopefully the rest of the book will be great too! I hadn't heard of them either, just spotted them in our bargain books store and thought they sounded fun! Glad you enjoyed the Marvel tag!

      Delete