Monday 16 November 2015

Clare Reviews: Don't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski

Don't Even Think About ItTitle: Don't Even Think About It
Author: Sarah Mlynowski
Series: Don't Even Think About It #1
Format: Paperback
Rating: 3.5/5
Blurb: This is the story of how we became freaks. It's how a group of I's became a we.
When Class 10B got their flu shots, they expected some side effects. Maybe a sore arm. Maybe a headache. They definitely didn't expect to get telepathy. But suddenly they could hear what everyone was thinking. Their friends. Their teachers. Their parents. Now they all know that Tess has a crush on her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper. Some of them will thrive. Some of them will break. None of them will ever be the same. 







"When you're a group that can hear each other's thoughts, the line between I and We gets kind of blurry."

My thoughts about this book can be pretty much summed up in two words. So. Cute. I ended this book with a huge smile on my face and I laughed at a couple of points, leading to my little brother coming in and asking what on earth was so funny! 

I've seen a few reviews criticising the lack of events in this book but I actually quite liked that. I liked all the small secrets being revealed (and the slightly bigger ones) and I loved how really small things became humorous. Things did pick up events-wise at the end of the book and it's left a bit of room to explore in a sequel which I like.

The characters, as they say themselves, did sometimes feel like a "we". Especially towards the end of the book. And I quite liked how although the book is narrated by the "we" it still explores the individual thoughts and sometimes the individual disagrees with the group. I did feel like some characters stood out a little more than others. Tess and Olivia especially were pretty great in this book. And BJ came out of nowhere to become a surprise favourite towards the end. 

There are, not necessarily romances, but romantic angst in the book. There's one couple who are together at the beginning and then one of them has a secret to be revealed and then there are a few other characters who have romantic entanglements that may or may not go the way they expected. I liked the way two of the couples ended up in this book and I do think that it would be nice, in a sequel, to explore some of the other character's lives. Although, of course, with the group swiftly becoming more "we" than "I" it might be difficult.

I am also intrigued to see how the situation is resolved with regards to the adults. With everything that occurs towards the end of the book I am struggling to see how everything will work out OK from the perspective of those outside the group. 

And if you're expecting some kind of logical, scientific explanation for why they can suddenly hear each others thoughts, outside of "the vaccine did it" you have come to the wrong place. Because there isn't one. But since I was really only there for the humour and the fun and the potential romances that didn't bother me so much. And besides, given that the teachers and scientists didn't seem to have a clue what caused it maybe there will be further exploration of that in the second book.

Mostly this was just great, escapist fun and I really enjoyed reading it. It's a great what-if and there is a character for pretty much everyone to relate to without an overwhelming number of POV's. Despite the fact that the entire class (22 people) it never got confusing for me. This is the second Sarah Mlynowski book I have read and I have really enjoyed both of them so I will definitely be checking out more by her and eagerly anticipating the sequel.


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

No comments:

Post a Comment