Friday 11 September 2015

Friday Reads and Friday 56 With Book Beginnings 11th September

Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice. The idea is to grab a book, turn to page 56 (or 56% in an e-reader and find any sentence (no spoilers) and then post it. Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.

Ann: 

Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)Little Women (Little Women, #1)
I am currently reading Timebound and Little Women. I am really enjoying both of them and hope to finish Timebound soon.

Book Beginnings:
"The heel of my white kidskin boot ripped a six-inch gash in the hem of my skirt as I whipped around the corner. Behind me, the footsteps halted for just an instant, and then continued, faster than before. I ducked into the next corridor, silently cursing the gods of 1890's fashion. Had I been in my usual shorts and T-shirt, I would have been out of this wretched hotel long ago. A solid kick to the head would have rendered the good doctor unconscious and the side of my neck wouldn't be screaming in agony."
I love this intro from Timebound it is so cool.

Friday 56:
"She started having nightmares and was moody. Well, she was always a bit moody, but ... more so... after." - Page 56
This is a really nice quote which I like from Timebound.

Clare:

Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)These Shallow GravesThe Wings of the Dove
I am currently about 10% through Lair of Dreams on my kindle, and so far it is wonderful. I love Libba Bray's humour and the writing makes it feel so realistic - especially the way the characters talk. Although it is quite long, I should finish it fairly quickly since I just want to sit down and read it! When I have finished Lair of Dreams I will be moving on to These Shallow Graves which I am beyond excited for although I only have a vague idea of what it's about, what I do know sounds amazing! I am also still reading The Wings of the Dove by Henry James, which I am 252 pages through at the moment and I am aiming to read around 50-60 pages this weekend. I am making good progress with this book although I am not always the biggest fan of James' writing style.
Book Beginnings:
"Every city is a ghost. New buildings rise upon the bones of the old so that each shiny steel beam, each tower of brick carries within it the memories of what has gone before, an architectural haunting. Sometimes you can catch a glimpse of these former incantations in the awkward angle of a street or a filigreed gate, an old oak door peeking out from a new facade, the plaque commemorating the spot that was once a battleground, which became a saloon and is now a park. Underground, it's no different."
So I cheated and chose more than a sentence (or two) but I just love this description so much because it makes the city feel real to me in a way I hadn't expected. I had genuinely forgotten just how much I loved the descriptions in Libba Bray's books and I am so glad to be back in this world.

Friday 56:
"Life might prove difficult - was evidently going to; but meanwhile they had each other, and that was everything. This was her reasoning, but meanwhile, for him, each other was what they didn't have, and it was just the point." - Page 56, The Wings of the Dove
This being a Henry James novel I'd be willing to bet nothing is going to go well for these characters.


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) and on Twitter (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

18 comments:

  1. I love them all. Little Women was a fave of mine as a young girl. I need to read the Libba Bray book though.
    I added you to the Linky!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Women is one of my favorites as well. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. The one that jumps out at me is Shallow Graves.
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is gorgeous isn't it! I am really excited to start that one soon, thanks for visiting

      Delete
  3. Loved them all
    Here is my Friday 56
    http://totallyaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/2015/09/friday-56-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read Timebound! I was so awesome - I hope you enjoy it!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really looking forward to finishing it and I am enjoying it at the moment. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Timebound sounds really good. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have to deal with all those skirts and trying to get away or do anything really - especially if you know how convenient a tshirt and shorts would be. Little Women is in my reread stack. I read it as a child but remember virtually nothing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate wearing skirts living in that era would be truly horrible. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. I like the beginning of Timebound. Thanks for sharing.

    Nice blog.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should think about reading it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. All look good. Shallow graves calls my name! LOL

    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/09/11/the-friday-56-77-stillwater-a-jack-mcbride-mystery/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shallow Graves is calling to me as well, I can't wait to read it! I was so excited when I got approved to read it on Netgalley! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  8. I like the quote from page 56 from Timebound. I like it enough I think I will look into the book. Thanks for sharing. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should look into it, it is a really good book. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. Ive never read any books by these authors before. But The Diviners is on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend the series. The historical detail alone is amazing and it's a great creepy read. Thanks for visiting

      Delete