Thursday 5 October 2017

Clare Reviews: Odd & True by Cat Winters

Odd & True
Title: Odd & True
Author: Cat Winters:
Pages: 368
Format: E-Arc
Source: Received via Netgalley
Rating: 5/5
Blurb: Trudchen grew up hearing Odette’s stories of their monster-slaying mother and a magician’s curse. But now that Tru’s older, she’s starting to wonder if her older sister’s tales were just comforting lies, especially because there’s nothing fantastic about her own life—permanently disabled and in constant pain from childhood polio.
In 1909, after a two-year absence, Od reappears with a suitcase supposedly full of weapons and a promise to rescue Tru from the monsters on their way to attack her. But it’s Od who seems haunted by something. And when the sisters’ search for their mother leads them to a face-off with the Leeds Devil, a nightmarish beast that’s wreaking havoc in the Mid-Atlantic states, Tru discovers the peculiar possibility that she and her sister—despite their dark pasts and ordinary appearances—might, indeed, have magic after all.

If you know me you'll know how much I love Cat Winters' novels. So it's pretty obvious that this was one of my most anticipated reads of the entire year and I was very excited when I got approved for it on Netgalley. And it did not disappoint at all. If anything this was more impressive than I had even expected.

Od and Tru were two of the most wonderful characters I have ever read. They were very different from each other - Od was the more obviously outgoing one but she had a lot of trauma to work through as well. Which means that, as a reader, you are constantly doubting her sanity and how much of what she says actually happened. Tru on the other hand was initially more sheltered but was so, so strong and independent and I absolutely adored her. She had an inherent goodness to her that never waned no matter what happened and I really admire that.

Their relationship was one of the strongest parts of the story. Sister relationships will always intrigue me because I have such an amazing sister. And I loved how utterly devoted to each other Od and Tru were whilst also arguing and disagreeing a lot. It felt very realistic and natural and so I was rooting for both of them more than ever. I not only wanted them to come through individually but also to have a strengthened relationship. Which definitely happened - with a lot of obstacles on the way!

The monster hunting/psychological element of the book was my absolute favourite though. Never before have I read a book that so skilfully played with my sanity. I jumped back and forth between "its all real" and "its all make believe" so many times and I had no idea how it would end up. I do think the ending was the best possible ending, I was very happy with how everything was resolved and wrapped up. And the epilogue was very special and precious.

I know this is a book I'll be re-reading often - especially now I've got myself a finished copy as well! It may even be my favourite Cat Winters book so far. And it makes me incredibly excited for whatever she may write next. It may not fit every Cat Winters fan because it is very different from her other novels in a lot of ways - but it is still her wonderful writing and evocative storytelling, gorgeous scene setting and of course amazing characters.

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare), Facebook and Instagram to keep up with what we are reading.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent review! I'm glad you liked this so much - I can't wait to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M SO HAPPY YOU LOVED THIS!! I mean, I was quite sure you would, but I'm especially glad that this is one of your favorite Cat Winters novels. I'm not sure if it is my favorite, I think mine will forever be In the Shadow of Blackbirds, and then also Yesternight, because the latter is SO.MORALLY.GRAY. but this was so damn unique and outstanding, as well. Wonderful review! <3

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete